Amberley... centre of major growth region
Brackenfields is part of a 72-hectare master plan, which includes the adjoining premium residential subdivision Oakfields to the east, a medical hub, senior living facility and recreational reserve, and another subdivision to the south. Stage 1 of the eastern residential development, Oakfields, started in 2011.
Residential development in the Amberley area is currently expanding with further subdivisions to the north and north-east of Brackenfields.
Amberley is historically the commercial centre for the Hurunui District, and home to a number of services including the Hurunui District Council, Hurunui District Library, a variety of commercial operators and will soon be home for the new retail hub of the district.
North Canterbury Region
As the economic hub of the Hurunui District, Amberley not only benefits from, but also helps drive growth in:
- Farming of sheep, beef and dairy
- Horticulture of more than 1,500 hectares of grape vines planted principally in Waipara
- Hospitality, including major wineries located in Waipara which in addition to their normal dining facilities play host to concerts and festivals
- Forestry, about 35% of the Canterbury plantation forest area
- Various infrastructure projects which support and stimulate regional growth
- Tourism, and only a short drive to the ever popular Hanmer Springs Resort.